In 1926 young Louis Wuilleumier was driving on the south side of Monona when he saw
a pilot land a Waco 9 bi-plane in the pasture that became Royal Airport.
Wuilleumier stopped to talk to the pilot and ended up giving him a ride to a hotel
in Madison. The next morning he picked up the pilot, drove him to his plane, and
for his trouble got a five-minute ride in the Waco. Wuilleumier was hooked. By the
summer of 1927 he and four other investors organized Mid-West Air Transport Company.
For an airport they rented a field from the Eakin family on North Street, east of the
Oscar Mayer plant and put up a good-sized hangar for the Jenny they purchased. So
began the North Street or Madison Airport.